The FDA and Qualitest Pharmaceuticals have notified healthcare professionals of a nationwide voluntary recall of Accusure Insulin Syringes because the syringes may have needles which detach from the syringe. Needles that detach from the syringe during use can become stuck in the insulin vial, push back into the syringe, or remain in the skin after injection.
All Accusure Insulin Syringes, regardless of lot number, are subject to this recall. The affected syringes were distributed between January 2002 and October 2009 and have the following NDC numbers:
- 28G ½cc – NDC# 0603–6995–21
- 28G 1cc – NDC# 0603–6996–21
- 29G ½cc – NDC# 0603–6997–21
- 29G 1cc – NDC# 0603–6998–21
- 30G ½cc – NDC# 0603–6999–21
- 30G 1cc – NDC# 0603–7000–21
- 31G ½cc – NDC# 0603–7001–21
- 31G 1cc – NDC# 0603–7002–21
Patients who have any Accusure Insulin Syringes in their possession should stop using them immediately and contact Qualitest.
For more information visit www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm188151.htm.