When should I seek help for indigestion?
Many people who suffer occasional indigestion and heartburn can obtain relief from simple antacid tablets which are available over the counter in pharmacies.

You should see your doctor if: You suffer from heartburn regularly (every week or every day); your indigestion symptoms persist for more than two weeks, especially if this is a new symptom, do not respond to antacids, interfere with work, leisure and/or sleep.

This advice is particularly important if you:

  • are over 45
  • have a family history of gastric problems
  • drink or smoke heavily
  • take aspirin regularly
  • take regular anti-arthritis pain killers.