According to new research, there are four types of people who decide not to vaccinate due to issues of complacency, convenience, confidence, and calculation. Findings from this study have been published in the journal Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
Reviewing the literature on non-vaccinators, researchers put these individuals into four categories and came up with some recommendations to improve compliance:
People who do not care about immunization.
Change how information is relayed:
- Campaigns that increase awareness about infection and strengthen positive attitudes towards vaccination
- Stress the social benefits, position vaccination as the norm
- Debunk the myths
Change vaccination policy:
- Change opt-in systems to opt-out systems
- Make vaccination mandatory
- Fines for non-vaccination
- Cash rewards for vaccination uptake