Bayer is voluntarily recalling certain lots of unexpired Lotrimin® AF and Tinactin® spray products to the consumer level due to the presence of benzene, a human carcinogen, in some samples of the products.
Lotrimin AF and Tinactin spray products are over-the-counter antifungal drugs, sold individually or in combination packages. The recalled products contain lot numbers beginning with TN, CV or NAA, and were distributed between September 2018 and September 2021 in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico. Product images and lot numbers can be found here. The affected products include:
- Lotrimin Anti-Fungal (AF) Athlete’s Foot Powder Spray
- Lotrimin Anti-Fungal Jock Itch (AFJI) Athlete’s Foot Powder Spray
- Lotrimin Anti-Fungal (AF) Athlete’s Foot Deodorant Powder Spray
- Lotrimin AF Athlete’s Foot Liquid Spray
- Lotrimin AF Athlete’s Foot Daily Prevention Deodorant Powder Spray
- Tinactin Jock Itch (JI) Powder Spray
- Tinactin Athlete’s Foot Deodorant Powder Spray
- Tinactin Athlete’s Foot Powder Spray
- Tinactin Athlete’s Foot Liquid Spray
To date, the Company has not received reports of adverse events related to this recall. Other Bayer products, including Lotrimin®/Tinactin® creams and Lotrimin® Ultra, are not affected by this recall.
Adverse events or quality issues should be reported to the Food and Drug Administration’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program.
Bayer issues voluntary recall of specific Lotrimin® and Tinactin® spray products due to the presence of benzene. News release. Bayer. Accessed October 1, 2021. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211001005645/en/Bayer-Issues-Voluntary-Recall-of-Specific-Lotrimin%C2%AE-and-Tinactin%C2%AE-Spray-Products-Due-to-the-Presence-of-Benzene.