The report also encourages healthcare providers to:
- Follow best practices for responsible pain medication prescribing to reduce opioid addiction, the strongest risk factor for heroin addiction.
- Use prescription drug monitoring programs and ask patients about past or current drug and alcohol use prior to considering opioid treatment.
- Prescribe the lowest effective dose and only the quantity needed for each patient.
- Link patients with substance use disorders to effective substance abuse treatment services.
- Support the use of FDA-approved MAT options (methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone) in patients addicted to prescription opioid painkillers or heroin.
For more information call 9800) 232-4636 or visit CDC.gov.