The innovations outlined by the Cleveland Clinic are likely to make 2016 an exciting year for clinicians and to advance patient care in a wide variety of areas. It remains to be seen whether these promising advances will indeed perform according to expectations in the real world.
1. Cleveland Clinic Innovations. Top 10 Medical Innovations for 2016. Available at: http://innovations.clevelandclinic.org/Summit-(1)/Top-10-Innovations/Top-10-for-2015-(1).aspx#.VoS5X87u2FZ. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). World on verge of an effective Ebola vaccine. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/effective-ebola-vaccine/en/. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
3. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). NIAID Role in Ebola and Marburg Research. Available at: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/ebolamarburg/research/pages/default.aspx. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
4. National Cancer Institute. NCI-Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice (NCI-MATCH) Trial. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/nci-supported/nci-match. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
5. Zimmer C. Science in 2016: separating the hype from the promise. Available at: http://www.statnews.com/2015/12/23/2016-science-hype-and-promise/. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
6. Slavin T. How to turn human waste into drinking water—and more. The Guardian. January 20, 2015.
7. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Committee Opinion 640. September, 2015. Cell-free DNA Screening for Fetal Aneuploidy. Available at: http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Genetics/Cell-free-DNA-Screening-for-Fetal-Aneuploidy. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
8. Zhang H, Cao J, Li L, et al. Identification of urine protein biomarkers with the potential for early detection of lung cancer. Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 2;5:11805.
9. Fung KYC, Tabor B, Buckley MJ, et al. Blood-Based Protein Biomarker Panel for the Detection of Colorectal Cancer. Hoheisel JD, ed. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(3):e0120425.
10. Iturrate I, Chavarriaga R, Montesano L, et al. Teaching brain-machine interfaces as an alternative paradigm to neuroprosthetics control. Sci Rep. 2015 Sep10;5:13893.
11. US Department of Health and Human Services. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). FDA approves first treatment for sexual desire disorder. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm458734.htm. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
12. Garde D. FDA clears a controversial female libido drug despite ‘modest’ effects and dangerous risks. Available at: http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/fda-clears-controversial-female-libido-drug-despite-modest-effects-and-dang/2015-08-18. Accessed: December 30, 2015.
13. Powers WJ, Derdeyn CP, Biller J, et al. 2015 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Focused Update of the 2013 Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke Regarding Endovascular Treatment: A Guideline for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2015 Oct;46(10):3020-35.