The Clinician’s Role in Obesity Management
- Annual and symptom-based screening for major chronic conditions associated with obesity (BMI ≥30kg/m2), including T2DM, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, obstructive sleep apnea, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, and major depression
- Timely adherence to national cancer screening guidelines
- Identification of contributing factors, including family history, sleep disorders, disordered eating, genetics, and environmental/socioeconomic causes
- Identification of and appropriate screening for secondary causes of obesity in those with suspicious history and/or physical examination
- Adherence to the 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults12
- Prescription of drugs that are weight neutral or contribute to weight loss
- Formulation of a treatment plan based on diet, exercise, and behavior modifications.
- Treat weight before treating comorbidities
Want to read more?
Please login or register first to view this content.