A number of mushroom-based compounds are recommended for increasing energy, reducing levels of blood glucose, losing weight and boosting the immune system. However, reliable data from actual human clinical trials is still relatively lacking.
Sherril Sego, FNP-C, DNP, is a staff clinician at the VA Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., where she practices adult medicine and women’s health. She also teaches at the nursing schools of the University of Missouri and the University of Kansas.
- Encyclopedia Britannica. Mushroom. Available at www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/398886/mushroom.
- Wong HS, Chen N, Leong PK, Ko KM. β-sitosterol enhances cellular glutathione redox cycling by reactive oxygen species generated from mitochondrial respiration: protection against oxidant injury in H9c2 cells and rat hearts. Phytother Res. 2013 Nov 26. [Epub ahead of print.]
- Patel S, Goyal A. Recent developments in mushrooms as anti-cancer therapeutics: a review. 3 Biotech. 2012;2:1-15. Available at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3339609.
- Byeon SE, Lee J, Lee E, et al. Functional activation of macrophages, monocytes and splenic lymphocytes by polysaccharide fraction from Tricholoma matsutake. Arch Pharm Res. 2009;32:1565-1572.
- Ahn WS, Kim DJ, Chae GT, et al. Natural killer cell activity and quality of life were improved by consumption of mushroom extract, Agaricus blazei Murill Kyowa, in gynecological cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2004;14: 589-594.
- Khamaisie H, Sussan S, Tal M, et al. Oleic acid is the active component in the mushroom Daedalea gibbosa inhibiting Bcr-Abl kinase autophosphorylation activity. Anticancer Res. 2011;31:177-183. Available at ar.iiarjournals.org/content/31/1/177.long.
- Kang HS, Kim KR, Jun EM, et al. Cyathuscavins A, B, and C, new free radical scavengers with DNA protection activity from the Basidiomycete Cyathus stercoreus. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2008;18:4047-4050.
- Shi Y, Sun J, He H, et al. Hepatoprotective effects of Ganoderma lucidum peptides against D-galactosamine-induced liver injury in mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;117:415-419.
- Kim DH, Shim SB, Kim NJ, Jang IS. Beta-glucuronidase-inhibitory activity and hepatoprotective effect of Ganoderma lucidum. Biol Pharm Bull. 1999;22:162-164
All electronic documents accessed February 15, 2014.
This article originally appeared on Clinical Advisor