Generic Name and Formulations:
Ezetimibe 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZETIA:
Adjunct to diet, alone or in combination with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (statin), in primary hyperlipidemia (heterozygous familial and non-familial) to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C. Adjunct to diet and in combination with fenofibrate to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, Apo B, and non-HDL-C in mixed hyperlipidemia. Adjunct to other lipid-lowering treatments, or if these treatments are unavailable, with atorvastatin or simvastatin to reduce elevated total-C and LDL-C in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Adjunct to diet in homozygous familial sitosterolemia to reduce elevated sitosterol and campesterol.
≥10yrs: 10mg once daily. Concomitant bile acid sequestrants: give ezetimibe either ≥2hrs before or ≥4hrs after. Concomitant simvastatin doses >20mg in moderate-to-severe renal impairment: use caution and monitor closely.
<10yrs: not recommended.
Cholesterol absorption inhibitor.
The use of ezetimibe with a statin is contraindicated in active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations in serum transaminases. Statins are contraindicated in pregnancy and nursing.
Moderate to severe hepatic insufficiency: not recommended. If given with a statin: monitor liver function initially and then as recommended for the statin. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant fibrates (except fenofibrate): not recommended. Potentiates cyclosporine. Potentiated by fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, cyclosporine. Monitor warfarin, cyclosporine. Antagonized by cholestyramine.
Upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, arthralgia, sinusitis, pain in extremity, dizziness, headache, fatigue; rare: myopathy/rhabdomyolysis; w. statin: nasopharyngitis, myalgia, back pain, increased serum transaminases.
For more information on statins, see their entries.
Tabs—30, 90, 500, 5000
- 10mg tablets (Qty:30)
- appx. price $228.00
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- Study: Abuse, Addiction, Poisoning Diagnoses Decrease with Reformulated Oxycontin
- Study: Pregnant, Breastfeeding Women Not Consuming Enough of This Nutrient
- Public Health Emergency Declared in IN Following HIV Outbreak
- Study: Hospital Readmissions, Length of Stay Greater for C. diff Patients
- Does the Aviation Industry Need Better Mental Health Screening?
- National Strategy to Fight Superbugs Released by the White House
- Gene Mutation May Explain Severe Flu in Healthy Children