Generic Name and Formulations:
Ursodiol 250mg; tabs.
Aptalis Pharmaceutical Technologies
Indications for URSO:
Primary biliary cirrhosis.
Take with food. 13–15mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Variceal bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, and/or need for an urgent liver transplant: give appropriate specific treatment. Monitor liver function and bilirubin monthly for 3 months after starting therapy, then every 6 months thereafter; consider discontinuing if levels increase significantly with history of stable liver function. Monitor and maintain bile flow. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Reduced absorption with bile acid sequestrants (eg, cholestyramine, colestipol), and aluminum-containing antacids. Estrogens, oral contraceptives, clofibrate, other lipid-lowering drugs may reduce effectiveness of ursodiol by increasing hepatic cholesterol secretion.
Abdominal discomfort or pain, alopecia, diarrhea, nausea, pruritus, rash, leukopenia, elevated creatinine or blood glucose, thrombocytopenia.
- Risks and Recommendations: The Use of NSAIDs in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease
- Paleo Diet: Should It Stay in the Stone Age?
- Neurological Complications Caused by "Skinny Jeans"
- What's the Secret to Longevity? Lessons from "Blue Zones" Worldwide
- Popular Restaurant Meals That Pack a Caloric Punch