Triamcinolone acetonide ointment Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamcinolone acetonide 0.025%, 0.1%, 0.5%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Triamcinolone acetonide ointment:
Adults and Children:
Apply thin film 2–4 times daily (0.025%) or 2–3 times daily (0.1%, 0.5%).
Do not use superpotent forms on face, groin, or axillae. Exclude viral disease (eg, chickenpox, measles).
Treat infection if present; discontinue if infection persists or worsens. Do not use near eyes, or on diaper dermatitis or pre-existing skin atrophy. Do not use fluorinated steroids longer than 1 week on the face. Avoid abrupt cessation in chronic use. Systemic absorption increased by broken or inflamed skin, prolonged use, application to large surface area, or use of occlusive dressings. Occlude only if necessary; do not occlude higher potency products. Monitor adrenal function in children if a high potency product or occlusion is used, and in adults if more than 50g weekly of a high potency product is used. Discontinue or reduce dose or potency if HPA axis suppression, Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, glucosuria, or irritation occurs. Use lowest effective dose and potency (esp. in children). Use caution if applying to face or body folds. Do not use continuously or for prophylaxis. Foams are flammable. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Burning, stinging, pruritus, erythema, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria, secondary infections, hypopigmentation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, dermal cracking and fissuring, telangiectasia, contact dermatitis, other local effects, immunosuppression, masks infections, HPA axis suppression (esp. in children).
Formerly known under the brand names Aristocort, Kenalog, Trymex (crm, oint); Triatex (crm).
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- Study: Abuse, Addiction, Poisoning Diagnoses Decrease with Reformulated Oxycontin
- Spironolactone for Hormonal Acne: Is Routine Potassium Monitoring Necessary?
- Public Health Emergency Declared in IN Following HIV Outbreak
- Study: Hospital Readmissions, Length of Stay Greater for C. diff Patients
- Does the Aviation Industry Need Better Mental Health Screening?
- National Strategy to Fight Superbugs Released by the White House
- Gene Mutation May Explain Severe Flu in Healthy Children