Generic Name and Formulations:
Testosterone 1%; gel.
Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for TESTIM:
Testosterone replacement therapy in adult males with congenital or acquired primary hypogonadism or hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.
Advise patients to strictly adhere to recommended instructions. Apply to clean, dry intact skin of the shoulders and/or upper arms; do not apply to genitals or abdomen. ≥18yrs: initially apply 5g (1 tube) once daily in the AM; measure serum testosterone level to ensure response; may increase to 10g after 2 weeks. Do not wash site for at least 2hrs after application. Not interchangeable with other testosterone products.
<18yrs: not established.
Male breast or prostate cancer. Pregnant and nursing women must avoid skin contact with application sites on men. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Not for use in women. Other persons (esp. children) must avoid contact with application site. Secondary exposure to testosterone; promptly discontinue if signs of virilization in children and women occurs, until cause is identified. Increased risk for worsening BPH; monitor for signs/symptoms. Evaluate for prostate cancer prior to and during therapy. Pre-existing cardiac, renal, or hepatic disease; discontinue if edema occurs. Obesity. Chronic lung disease. Monitor hematocrit prior to initiation, at 3–6 months after starting therapy, then annually; if elevation occurs, withhold until acceptable level. Monitor hemoglobin, liver function, PSA, cholesterol, lipid profile, serum testosterone, serum calcium (in cancer patients at risk for hypercalcemia). Monitor for venous thromboembolism; discontinue if suspected. Avoid showering or swimming for at least 2hrs after application. Flammable.
May alter insulin sensitivity and glycemic control; reduce dose of antidiabetic agents if needed. Increased fluid retention with concomitant corticosteroids; monitor. Monitor INR and PT with concomitant oral anticoagulants. May affect thyroid levels.
Local reactions, headache, increased hemoglobin/hematocrit or BP, depression, hot flushes, insomnia, mood swings, gynecomastia, sleep apnea, dysgeusia; virilization in children, reduced sperm count.
- 5g of 50mg tube of gels (Qty:30)
- appx. price $464.00
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- Study: Abuse, Addiction, Poisoning Diagnoses Decrease with Reformulated Oxycontin
- Spironolactone for Hormonal Acne: Is Routine Potassium Monitoring Necessary?
- Public Health Emergency Declared in IN Following HIV Outbreak
- Study: Hospital Readmissions, Length of Stay Greater for C. diff Patients
- Does the Aviation Industry Need Better Mental Health Screening?
- National Strategy to Fight Superbugs Released by the White House
- Gene Mutation May Explain Severe Flu in Healthy Children