Generic Name and Formulations:
Bexarotene 75mg; caps.
Indications for TARGRETIN:
Cutaneous manifestations of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma in patients who are refractory to at least one prior systemic therapy.
Take with food. Initially 300mg/m2 once daily; may increase after 8 weeks to 400mg/m2 once daily if no tumor response and if well tolerated; monitor carefully. If toxicity occurs, reduce to 200mg/m2 then 100mg/m2 once daily, or suspend therapy.
Be fully familiar with this drug's toxicity before use. Pancreatitis or risk of pancreatitis (eg, history of pancreatitis, uncontrolled hyperlipidemia, excess alcohol consumption, uncontrolled diabetes, biliary tract disease, drugs that can cause pancreatitis). Counsel patients monthly about need for contraception. Women of childbearing potential: obtain reliable negative pregnancy test within 1 week of start; repeat monthly. Start therapy on 2nd or 3rd day of normal menstrual period. Use two effective forms of contraception 1 month prior to, during, and for 1 month after therapy. Max 1 month/℞. Men with partners who are or may become pregnant: use condoms during and for at least 1 month after therapy. Monitor lipids before treatment, weekly until stable, then every 8 weeks; try to keep triglycerides <400mg/dL; treat hyperlipidemia, or reduce or suspend bexarotene if needed. Hepatic or renal insufficiency. Monitor liver function at baseline, 1, 2, and 4 weeks after start, then (if stable) at least every 8 weeks during therapy; consider suspending or discontinuing treatment if SGOT/AST, SGPT/ALT, or bilirubin >3xULN occurs. Monitor WBC with differential and thyroid function at baseline and during treatment; treat hypothyroidism if needed. Avoid sun and UV light. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant gemfibrozil: not recommended. Levels may be increased by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin, grapefruit juice). Levels may be reduced by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, phenobarbital, phenytoin). May potentiate antihyperglycemics (eg, insulin, sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones); monitor. May potentiate or be potentiated by protein-bound drugs. May antagonize tamoxifen, hormonal contraceptives, other CYP3A4 substrates. Limit Vit. A supplements to avoid toxicity. May increase CA125 assay values.
Lipid abnormalities, headache, hypothyroidism, asthenia, leukopenia, anemia, rash, GI disturbances, peripheral edema, dry skin, exfoliative dermatitis, alopecia, insomnia, fatigue, abnormal liver function tests, pancreatitis, pruritus, photosensitivity.
- 75mg capsules (Qty:15)
- appx. price $1893.00
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- Study: Abuse, Addiction, Poisoning Diagnoses Decrease with Reformulated Oxycontin
- Study: Pregnant, Breastfeeding Women Not Consuming Enough of This Nutrient
- Public Health Emergency Declared in IN Following HIV Outbreak
- Study: Hospital Readmissions, Length of Stay Greater for C. diff Patients
- Does the Aviation Industry Need Better Mental Health Screening?
- National Strategy to Fight Superbugs Released by the White House
- Gene Mutation May Explain Severe Flu in Healthy Children