Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylprednisolone (as sodium succinate) 40mg, 125mg, 500mg, 1g; pwd for IV or IM inj; contains benzyl alcohol except 500mg, 1g multi-dose vials.
Indications for SOLU-MEDROL:
Steroid-responsive disorders where oral therapy not feasible.
Initially 10–40mg IV; subsequent doses IV or IM.
Infants: not recommended. Others: 0.5mg/kg per day or more IV or IM.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines. Depo-Medrol: also premature infants, intrathecal administration. Solu-Medrol: also premature infants.
Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Hypothyroidism. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Renal insufficiency. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Intrasynovial: avoid previously infected or unstable joints. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, troleandomycin, ketoconazole). Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, rifampin). Avoid cyclosporine and aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor). May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance. Parenteral: atrophy, flare at site; intrasynovial: septic arthritis.
Tabs 2mg—100; 8mg, 32mg—25; 16mg—50; Dosepak—21; Depo-Medrol 20mg/mL (5mL)—1; 40mg/mL (5mL, 10mL)—1, 25; 80mg/mL (5mL)—1, 25; Solu-Medrol single-dose vial 40mg (1mL)—1, 25; 125mg (2mL)—25; 500mg (4mL), 1g (8mL)—1; Multi-dose vial 500mg (8mL), 1g (16mL)—1
- 16ml of 1g vials (Qty:3)
- appx. price $85.00
- McDonald's and the Microbiome: What Effect Does Junk Food Have on Gut Bacteria?
- When the Doctor is Depressed: One Clinician Tells His Story
- Most Distinctive Causes of Death Mapped by U.S. State
- Spice + Statin Likely Culprit in Patient with Acute Hepatitis
- First Non-Surgical Tx for "Double Chin" Gains FDA Approval
- Antiviral May Tighten Blood-Brain Barrier Against Pathogens
- Better Outcomes for HIV Patients Who Start Treatment Early, Says Study
- DOD: Live Anthrax Accidentally Sent to Nine States, South Korea
- New OTC Lightweight Wearable Launched for Chronic Pain Relief
- FDA: Beware of Embolization With Dermal Fillers