August 02, 2010
FDA advises against use of Miracle Mineral SolutionThe FDA has warned consumers not to use Miracle Mineral Solution, an oral liquid also known as “Miracle Mineral Supplement” or “MMS.” When used as directed the product produces chlorine dioxide, an industrial bleach used for stripping textiles and for industrial water treatment. High oral doses of this bleach, such as those recommended in the labeling, can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration.
MMS claims to treat multiple unrelated diseases, including HIV, hepatitis, the H1N1 flu virus, common colds, acne, cancer, and other conditions. The FDA is not aware of any research that MMS is effective in treating any of these conditions. MMS also poses a significant health risk to consumers who may choose to use this product for self-treatment instead of seeking FDA-approved treatments for these conditions.
Consumers who have MMS should stop using it immediately and throw it away and consult their healthcare provider if they experience any adverse effects related to the use of the product.
For more information visit www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm220756.htm.