Generic Name and Formulations:
Capsaicin 8% (179mg); patch.
Indications for QUTENZA:
Management of neuropathic pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia.
Identify treatment area and mark the skin; may cut patches to match size and shape of area. Pretreat with topical anesthetic to reduce discomfort, once anesthetized, remove anesthetic and wash the treatment area. Apply to dry, intact skin within 2 hours of opening patch. Apply patch (up to 4 may be used) for 60 minutes, repeat every 3 months or as warranted by the return of pain (not more frequently than every 3 months). May use a dressing to ensure patch remains in contact with treatment area. After removal of patch, apply Cleansing Gel to area and leave on for at least one minute. Remove Cleansing Gel with dry wipe; wash and dry the area. Treat acute pain during and following the procedure with local cooling and/or analgesics. Use nitrile gloves when handling patch and cleaning capsaicin residue from skin. Immediately dispose of patches.
<18yrs: not recommended.
TRPV1 channel agonist.
Should only be administered by a physician or healthcare professional. Aerosolization of capsaicin may occur with rapid removal of patches, remove patches slowly by rolling the adhesive side inward. Avoid exposure to eyes, mucous membranes. Evaluate for recent history of cardio- and cerebrovascular disease. Monitor BP periodically during treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers; do not breastfeed after treatment on the day of treatment.
Application site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, pruritus, papules); increased blood pressure.
Patch—1, 2 (both with 50g tube of Cleansing Gel)
- 2 patches of 8% kits (Qty:1)
- appx. price $1531.00
- McDonald's and the Microbiome: What Effect Does Junk Food Have on Gut Bacteria?
- When the Doctor is Depressed: One Clinician Tells His Story
- Spice + Statin Likely Culprit in Patient with Acute Hepatitis
- First Non-Surgical Tx for "Double Chin" Gains FDA Approval
- Most Distinctive Causes of Death Mapped by U.S. State
- Heart Rate May Be an Indicator of Future Diabetes Risk
- Probiotic Mixture VSL#3 Shows Promise for Crohn's Recurrence
- Study: Beloranib Appears Safe, Efficacious for Weight Loss in Obesity
- Progress Toward Mind-Controlled Robotic Limbs
- Response to Resistance Exercise Depends on a Person's Genetic Risk for Obesity