Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium picosulfate 10mg, magnesium oxide 3.5g, anhydrous citric acid 12g; per packet; powder for oral solution after reconstitution; orange- or cranberry-flavor.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for PREPOPIK:
Bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.
Split-Dose regimen (preferred): Take 1st dose evening before colonoscopy followed by five 8oz drinks of clear liquids before bed. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs. Take 2nd dose, the next day approximately 5hrs before colonoscopy followed by at least three 8oz drinks of clear liquids. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs up until 2hrs before procedure. Day-Before regimen (alternative): Take 1st dose in the afternoon or early evening before colonoscopy followed by five 8oz drinks of clear liquids before the next dose. Take 2nd dose approximately 6hrs later in the late evening, the night before colonoscopy followed by three 8oz drinks of clear liquids before bed. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs.
Stimulant + osmotic laxative.
Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min). GI obstruction. Ileus. Bowel perforation. Toxic colitis or megacolon. Gastric retention.
Correct fluid/electrolyte abnormalities before use. CHF. History or risk of seizures. Alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal. Renal impairment; consider baseline and post-colonoscopy lab tests. Increased risk of arrhythmias; consider pre-dose and post-colonoscopy ECGs. Mucosal ulcerations may occur; consider when interpreting findings in inflammatory bowel disease. Rule out GI obstruction/perforation before administering. Severe active ulcerative colitis. Impaired gag reflex. Risk of regurgitation or aspiration. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that increase risk of fluid/electrolyte abnormalities (eg, diuretics, corticosteroids, cardiac glycosides, NSAIDs, tricyclics, SSRIs, antipsychotics, carbamazepine) or that affect renal function (eg, ACEIs, ARBs). Oral drugs given within 1hr of start of administration may not be absorbed. Separate dosing of tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, iron, digoxin, chlorpromazine, or penicillamine by at least 2hrs before or >6hrs after Prepopik. Antibiotics may reduce efficacy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold. Increased risk of colonic mucosal ulcerations or ischemic colitis with stimulant laxatives.
Nausea, headache, vomiting.
Carton—1 (2 packets w. dosing cup)
- 2 packets of 10mg/3.5mg/12mg cartons (Qty:1)
- appx. price $117.00
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- Study: Abuse, Addiction, Poisoning Diagnoses Decrease with Reformulated Oxycontin
- Study: Pregnant, Breastfeeding Women Not Consuming Enough of This Nutrient
- Public Health Emergency Declared in IN Following HIV Outbreak
- Study: Hospital Readmissions, Length of Stay Greater for C. diff Patients
- Does the Aviation Industry Need Better Mental Health Screening?
- National Strategy to Fight Superbugs Released by the White House
- Gene Mutation May Explain Severe Flu in Healthy Children