Generic Name and Formulations:
Clopidogrel (as bisulfate) 75mg, 300mg; tabs.
- FDA Mulls Over Results of NEJM Antiplatelet Tx Study
- Development of Brilinta Reversal Agent Initiated by AstraZeneca
- First-In-Class Drug Approved to Reduce MI, Stroke Risk
Indications for PLAVIX:
Reduction of atherosclerotic events in: recent MI or stroke, established peripheral arterial disease; non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-ST-elevation MI) or ST-elevation MI; see full labeling.
75mg once daily. Non-ST-segment acute coronary syndrome (give with aspirin 75–325mg once daily): give one 300mg loading dose first. ST-segment elevation MI (give with aspirin, with or without thrombolytics): may start with or without a loading dose. CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: may need higher doses. If concomitant PPI required: consider acid-reducing agent with minimal or no CYP2C19 inhibitory effect.
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Active pathologic bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: diminished effectiveness and higher cardiovascular event rates. Consider testing for CYP2C19 genotype before starting therapy; consider alternative treatment if identified as poor metabolizer. Risk of bleeding (eg, surgery); consider discontinuing 5 days before elective surgery. Avoid lapses in therapy; if temporarily discontinued, restart as soon as possible. Increased risk of cardiovascular events if discontinued prematurely. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant CYP2C19 inhibitors (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole). Caution with concomitant aspirin (esp. in recent TIA or stroke) or other drugs that increase risk of bleeding (eg, NSAIDs, warfarin, SSRI, SNRI).
Bleeding (may be fatal), epistaxis, hematuria, bruising, ulcers, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Tabs 75mg—30, 90, 100, 500; 300mg—30, 100
- 300mg tablets (Qty:1)
- appx. price $31.00
- Recall of Two IV Antibiotics Announced
- Five Things ID Experts Want You to Know Before You Prescribe an Antibiotic
- Peanut Allergy Patch Shows Promise in Latest Study
- What's Changed in Immunization Recommendations From CDC Advisory Committee
- IUD Approval Gives Women New Long-Acting Birth Control Option
- Limit Daily Use of Headphones, Warns WHO
- Sleep Deprivation Could Derail Healthy Eating Habits
- Not Enough COPD Patients Receiving Maintenance Tx, Research Suggests
- Harvoni for HCV Genotype 4, HIV Co-Infection Assessed in New Research
- Combo Therapy for HCV, HIV Co-Infection: New Data on Sustained Virologic Response