Generic Name and Formulations:
Clopidogrel (as bisulfate) 75mg, 300mg; tabs.
- HCTZ Bottles Recalled After Discovery of Blood Thinner Tablet
- Patient Profiles Differ With Prasugrel vs. Clopidogrel for PCI
- FDA Mulls Over Results of NEJM Antiplatelet Tx Study
Indications for PLAVIX:
Reduction of atherosclerotic events in: recent MI or stroke, established peripheral arterial disease; non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina/non-ST-elevation MI) or ST-elevation MI; see full labeling.
75mg once daily. Non-ST-segment acute coronary syndrome (give with aspirin 75–325mg once daily): give one 300mg loading dose first. ST-segment elevation MI (give with aspirin, with or without thrombolytics): may start with or without a loading dose. CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: may need higher doses. If concomitant PPI required: consider acid-reducing agent with minimal or no CYP2C19 inhibitory effect.
Active pathologic bleeding (eg, peptic ulcer, intracranial hemorrhage).
CYP2C19 poor metabolizers: diminished effectiveness and higher cardiovascular event rates. Consider testing for CYP2C19 genotype before starting therapy; consider alternative treatment if identified as poor metabolizer. Risk of bleeding (eg, surgery); consider discontinuing 5 days before elective surgery. Avoid lapses in therapy; if temporarily discontinued, restart as soon as possible. Increased risk of cardiovascular events if discontinued prematurely. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant CYP2C19 inhibitors (eg, omeprazole, esomeprazole). Caution with concomitant aspirin (esp. in recent TIA or stroke) or other drugs that increase risk of bleeding (eg, NSAIDs, warfarin, SSRI, SNRI).
P2Y12 platelet inhibitor (thienopyridine).
Bleeding (may be fatal), epistaxis, hematuria, bruising, ulcers, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Tabs 75mg—30, 90, 100, 500; 300mg—30, 100
- 75mg tablets (Qty:30)
- appx. price $206.00
- Nine Factors That Appear to Elevate Alzheimer's Risk
- NSAIDs Linked to Long-Term Colon Cancer Risk Reduction
- Clinical Suspicion Leads to Uncommon Diagnosis in Patient With High Fever
- What a New Study Says About Omega-3s and Brain Health
- Measles and 'Immune Amnesia': Why Vaccination Could Also Prevent Other Diseases
- Can Education Boost Adherence to Apixaban? New Data Presented
- Sensus Wearable Device for RLS: Pilot Study Data Announced
- Ezetimibe Add-On Tx Shows CV Benefits in Patients With Diabetes, ACS
- First State Adds Locking Devices to Rx Bottles for Deter Abuse, Misuse
- Osteonecrosis of Jaw Risk Highest for Two Bisphosphonates