Embolic Events, Death Tied to High-Concentration Peroxide Ingestion

High-concentration peroxide has been promoted in alternative medicine circles for cleanses or as a 'natural cure'
High-concentration peroxide has been promoted in alternative medicine circles for cleanses or as a 'natural cure'

A study published in Annals of Emergency Medicine found that ingestion of high-concentration peroxide led to a high incidence of associated embolic events in the study population. 

High-concentration peroxide has been promoted in alternative medicine circles for cleanses or as a "natural cure", however ingestion may actually lead to life-threatening conditions and death. Study authors, led by Benjamin W. Hatten, MD, MPH, aimed to characterize the outcomes of high-concentration peroxide ingestion cases reported to United States poison centers, as well as examine the role of treatment with hyperbaric oxygen, and review the use of routine endoscopy.  

Related Articles

They conducted a retrospective analysis of the National Poison Data System by collecting charts of each center's high-concentration (>10%) peroxide ingestion. Of the 1,054 cases initially identified, 294 met the inclusion criteria. Life-threatening ailments associated with high-concentration peroxide ingestion include seizure, altered mental status, respiratory distress, stroke, pulmonary embolism and heart attack. 

Over the 10-year period, 13.9% of cases (41/294) had evidence of embolic events; 6.8% of cases (20/294) either died or had continued disability. Improved outcomes were seen with early hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Grade 3 or 4 lesions were only observed in five cases as indicated by an endoscopy. 

Overall, symptomatic high-concentration peroxide exposures were linked to a high rate of associated embolic events and this cohort exhibited a high rate of death. Routine endoscopy is unlikely to be of benefit but early hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be beneficial. Dr. Hatten concluded, "This is a caustic liquid, and as with many poison prevention efforts, we recommend keeping this product in its original container and adding both child-resistant capping and a colorizing agent to reduce the possibility of accidental ingestion."

For more information visit annemergmed.com.