Morphine Sulfate Oral Solution CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Morphine sulfate 10mg/5mL, 20mg/5mL, 100mg/5mL.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Morphine Sulfate Oral Solution:
Moderate to severe pain. 100mg/5mL strength: for use in opioid-tolerant patients only.
Individualize and periodically reevaluate dose. Tabs: usually 15–30mg every 4hrs as needed. Soln: usually 10–20mg every 4hrs as needed.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Respiratory depression in the absence of resuscitative equipment. Acute or severe asthma or hypercarbia. Paralytic ileus.
Avoid dosing errors between different concentrations or between mg and mL. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Shock. Severe renal or hepatic impairment. Impaired pulmonary, thyroid, or adrenocortical function. GI or GU obstruction. Acute abdomen. Biliary tract disease. Acute pancreatitis. Kyphoscoliosis. Convulsive disorders. Drug abusers. Delirium tremens. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiation with alcohol, CNS depressants, anticholinergics, MAOIs, phenothiazines, general anesthetics, antiemetics, p-glycoprotein inhibitors (eg, quinidine). Do not use within 14 days of MAOIs. Severe hypotension with phenothiazines, general anesthetics. Potentiates neuromuscular blockers. Monitor cimetidine. Possible withdrawal symptoms with mixed opioid agonist/antagonists.
Somnolence, constipation, GI upset, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, sweating, respiratory depression, orthostatic hypotension, syncope, euphoria.
Tabs—100; Soln (10mg/5mL, 20mg/5mL)—100mL, 500mL; (100mg/5mL)—30mL, 120mL (w. oral syringe)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- 2016 Recommended Immunization Schedule for Adults: What's Changed?
- First Sexually-Transmitted Zika Virus Case Confirmed in Texas
- 2016 Childhood and Adolescent Immunization Schedule Released
- Spiriva Respimat Gains Indication and New Dosage Strength
- To Rx or Not to Rx: Interventions to Improve Antibiotic Prescribing for Uncomplicated Acute RTI
- CDC Guidelines on Preventing Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus Issued
- CDC Updates Interim Zika Virus Guidelines for Pregnant Women and Women of Reproductive Age
- Daklinza Use Expanded to Cover Treatment in More HCV Patients
- Researchers Call for an Alternative Tdap Immunization Strategy for Adolescents
- FDA Announces Large Action Plan in Effort to Reverse the Opioid Epidemic