MIACALCIN INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon 200 IU/mL; SC or IM inj.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for MIACALCIN INJECTION:
Paget's disease of bone. Hypercalcemia. Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women >5yrs postmenopausal.
Paget's: 100 IU SC or IM daily. Hypercalcemia: initially 4 IU/kg SC or IM every 12hrs, may increase after 1–2 days to 8 IU/kg every 12hrs, and then after 2 more days to max 8 IU/kg every 6hrs. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: 100 IU SC or IM daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other mineral metabolism disorders before initiating; monitor serum calcium and hypocalcemia symptoms during therapy. Increased risk of malignancies. Re-evaluate periodically. For nasal spray: do periodic nasal exams; discontinue if severe ulceration occurs. For inj: consider periodic exams of urine sediment; serum alkaline phosphatase and urinary hydroxyproline in Paget's. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: supplement diet with calcium 1g/day and Vit.D 400 IU/day. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May antagonize lithium (consider lithium dose adjustment).
Nasal spray: rhinitis, epistaxis, other nasal symptoms, back pain, arthralgia, headache. Inj: nausea, vomiting, local inflammation, flushing, rash. Both: hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylaxis, antibody formation.
Nasal spray bottle (3.7mL)—1 (30 doses); Multi-dose vials (2mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- 2016 Recommended Immunization Schedule for Adults: What's Changed?
- First Sexually-Transmitted Zika Virus Case Confirmed in Texas
- 2016 Childhood and Adolescent Immunization Schedule Released
- Spiriva Respimat Gains Indication and New Dosage Strength
- To Rx or Not to Rx: Interventions to Improve Antibiotic Prescribing for Uncomplicated Acute RTI
- CDC Guidelines on Preventing Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus Issued
- CDC Updates Interim Zika Virus Guidelines for Pregnant Women and Women of Reproductive Age
- Daklinza Use Expanded to Cover Treatment in More HCV Patients
- Researchers Call for an Alternative Tdap Immunization Strategy for Adolescents
- FDA Announces Large Action Plan in Effort to Reverse the Opioid Epidemic