Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa 125mg, 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa:
Initially 250mg 2–3 times daily; titrate at intervals of at least 2 days. Concomitant antihypertensives other than thiazides: initial max 500mg/day. Maintenance: 500mg–2g/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 3g/day.
Initially 10mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses; max 65mg/kg or 3g daily (whichever is less).
Active hepatic disease. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular disease. Monitor blood and liver function. Discontinue if fever, jaundice, liver dysfunction, worsening edema or heart failure occurs. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
MAOIs: see Contraindications. Antagonized by oral iron preps: not recommended. May potentiate antihypertensives, general anesthetics, lithium. May interfere with lab tests.
Sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, edema, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, arthralgia, amenorrhea, hyperprolactinemia, gynecomastia, pancreatitis, impotence, decreased libido, CNS effects, eosinophilia, liver dysfunction, jaundice, (+) Coombs test, hemolytic anemia; rarely: fatal hepatic necrosis, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldomet.
- Certain Food Combos Prevent Weight Gain, While Others Promote It
- The Consequences of Ignoring the Complete Medication List
- The Vitamin D Debate: Conundrums and Complexities
- Maple Syrup Boosts Antibiotic Effects in Proof-of-Concept Research
- New AHA/ACA/ASH Hypertension Guidelines: Lead Author Discusses Treatments and Controversies
- Researchers Working on Game-Changing Vaccination Method
- Viekirax + Exviera Demonstrates Virologic Response in HCV Trial
- Despite Warnings, Health Food Stores Still Sell "Adult-Only" Supplements to Teens
- Alternate Administration Routes for Psychotropic Drugs Reviewed
- Two Regimens Compared in HCV With Decompensated Cirrhosis