METHERGINE INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylergonovine maleate 0.2mg/mL; amp.
Indications for METHERGINE INJECTION:
Following delivery of the placenta, for routine management of uterine atony, hemorrhage, and subinvolution of the uterus. For control of uterine hemorrhage in the second stage of labor following delivery of the anterior shoulder.
IM: 0.2mg after delivery of the anterior shoulder, after delivery of the placenta, or during the puerperium; may be repeated as required at intervals of 2–4 hours. IV: 0.2mg given slowly over a period of no less than 60 seconds.
Hypertension. Toxemia. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid intra-arterial, periarterial injection. Coronary artery disease or risk factors; may be more susceptible to developing MI and infarction associated with methylergonovine-induced vasospasm. Sepsis. Obliterative vascular disease. Hepatic or renal disease. 2nd stage of labor. Nursing mothers: not recommended (wait at least 12hrs after last dose before initiating or resuming feeding).
Potentiated by vasoconstrictors, other ergot alkaloids, prostaglandins, beta-blockers. Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, macrolides, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, azole antifungals): not recommended. Use caution with less potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluconazole, grapefruit juice, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, zileuton, clotrimazole). Antagonized by strong inducers of CYP3A4 (eg, nevirapine, rifampicin), anesthetics (eg, halothane, methoxyflurane). Antagonizes glyceryl trinitrate, other antianginal drugs.
Hypertension associated with seizure and/or headache, hypotension, abdominal pain, GI upset; rare: cardiovascular effects (eg, vasoconstriction, acute MI, transient chest pains).
Tabs—100; Inj (1mL amps)—20
- Nine Factors That Appear to Elevate Alzheimer's Risk
- NSAIDs Linked to Long-Term Colon Cancer Risk Reduction
- Clinical Suspicion Leads to Uncommon Diagnosis in Patient With High Fever
- What a New Study Says About Omega-3s and Brain Health
- Measles and 'Immune Amnesia': Why Vaccination Could Also Prevent Other Diseases
- Can Education Boost Adherence to Apixaban? New Data Presented
- Sensus Wearable Device for RLS: Pilot Study Data Announced
- Ezetimibe Add-On Tx Shows CV Benefits in Patients With Diabetes, ACS
- First State Adds Locking Devices to Rx Bottles for Deter Abuse, Misuse
- Osteonecrosis of Jaw Risk Highest for Two Bisphosphonates