MEDROL DOSEPAK Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylprednisolone 4mg; unit-of-use 21 scored tabs.
Indications for MEDROL DOSEPAK:
Adults and Children:
See literature. 4–48mg daily.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines. Depo-Medrol: also premature infants, intrathecal administration. Solu-Medrol: also premature infants.
Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Hypothyroidism. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Renal insufficiency. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Intrasynovial: avoid previously infected or unstable joints. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, troleandomycin, ketoconazole). Antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, phenytoin, rifampin). Avoid cyclosporine and aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. May antagonize anticoagulants (monitor). May need to adjust dose of antidiabetic agents.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance. Parenteral: atrophy, flare at site; intrasynovial: septic arthritis.
Tabs 2mg—100; 8mg, 32mg—25; 16mg—50; Dosepak—21; Depo-Medrol 20mg/mL (5mL)—1; 40mg/mL (5mL, 10mL)—1, 25; 80mg/mL (5mL)—1, 25; Solu-Medrol single-dose vial 40mg (1mL)—1, 25; 125mg (2mL)—25; 500mg (4mL), 1g (8mL)—1; Multi-dose vial 500mg (8mL), 1g (16mL)—1
- McDonald's and the Microbiome: What Effect Does Junk Food Have on Gut Bacteria?
- When the Doctor is Depressed: One Clinician Tells His Story
- Spice + Statin Likely Culprit in Patient with Acute Hepatitis
- Most Distinctive Causes of Death Mapped by U.S. State
- First Non-Surgical Tx for "Double Chin" Gains FDA Approval
- Heart Rate May Be an Indicator of Future Diabetes Risk
- Probiotic Mixture VSL#3 Shows Promise for Crohn's Recurrence
- Study: Beloranib Appears Safe, Efficacious for Weight Loss in Obesity
- Progress Toward Mind-Controlled Robotic Limbs
- Response to Resistance Exercise Depends on a Person's Genetic Risk for Obesity