"Crazy Monkey" Drug Sends Man, Dog to Hospital

the MPR take:

Many brands of synthetic marijuana carry a warning that the products are “not for human consumption” to avoid legal issues, but a recent case emphasizes that it should not be consumed by anyone (including pets). A case report in the journal Clinical Toxicology described a 22-year-old man who brought his dog to a veterinary office after the animal suffered a seizure; the man soon had a seizure himself. Doctors concluded that exposure to synthetic cannabis ("Crazy Monkey") was the likely culprit of the seizures (consumption for the dog, smoking for the man). After the initial incident, the man ended up in the hospital five more times due to seizures caused by the synthetic marijuana, which is a mix of plants and chemicals that are loosely structurally based on THC. The ingredients of synthetic marijuana are often unknown, which can lead to unpredictable health consequences. Thus, it is advised that people (and animals) avoid use of this product.

Keep Synthetic Marijuana Away From Pets (and Humans)
"Crazy Monkey" Drug Sends Man, Dog to Hospital

Despite serious health risks related to smoking synthetic marijuana, the drug still has its fans -- and it continues to cause trouble. Hallam Melville Gugelmann, a medical toxicology fellow at the University of San Francisco, California, who treated the patient, told CBS News. The investigators suspected that the dog had been poisoned as a result of eating the drug rather than inhaling second-hand smoke, Gugelmann said.

READ FULL ARTICLE From CBS News

Loading links....