Generic Name and Formulations:
Ertapenem (as sodium) 1g; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; or for IM inj after reconstitution; sodium content 6mEq/g.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for INVANZ:
Susceptible moderate to severe infections including complicated intraabdominal, complicated skin and skin structure, community-acquired pneumonia, complicated UTIs, acute pelvic infections. Prevention of surgical site infection following elective colorectal surgery in adults.
Adults and Children:
Do not mix or co-infuse with other meds or diluents containing dextrose. Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes for up to 14 days; or, give by IM inj for up to 7 days (for IM: see note). <3months: not recommended. 3months–12yrs: 15mg/kg twice daily (max 1g/day). ≥13yrs: 1g once daily; renal dysfunction (CrCl ≤30mL/min): 500mg once daily (give supplemental 150mg after session if dosed within 6 hours of hemodialysis). Intraabdominal: treat 5–14 days. Skin and skin structure: treat 7–14 days. Pneumonia, UTIs: treat 10–14 days (may switch to oral antibiotic after 3 days). Pelvic: treat 3–10 days. Adult prophylaxis in colorectal surgery: 1g single IV dose given 1 hour prior to surgical incision.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy. IM administration in patients with known hypersensitivity to amide-type local anesthetics.
CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, seizure history). Renal dysfunction. Avoid extravasation. Monitor renal, hepatic, and hematopoetic function in prolonged use. Avoid blood vessel if administering by IM. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended. Antagonizes valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; consider other antibacterials.
Diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), nausea, vomiting, inj site reactions (thrombophlebitis/phlebitis), headache, CNS effects (dizziness, altered mental state, rarely: seizures), edema, dyspnea, fever.
For IM use, reconstitute with lidocaine 1% only; see full labeling.
- 1g vials (Qty:10)
- appx. price $844.00
- Necessary Procedure Leads to Assault and Battery Charges
- Two Older Antibiotics Effective Against Community-Acquired MRSA, Says New Research
- Over 50,000 Bottles of Cholesterol Drug Recalled
- Certain Antibiotics May Up Diabetes Risk
- FDA: Life-Threatening Interaction Possible Between Antivirals, Amiodarone
- New Duodenoscope Cleaning Instructions Issued for Reprocessing Procedure
- Educating Clinicians on Safe Opioid Prescribing Part of New HHS Program
- Targeted Immunotherapy for Alzheimer's Could Reverse Memory Problems
- NIH: HIV Can Evolve, Replicate in Brain During Early Infection
- Comparing Roseroot Herb, Sertraline for MDD Treatment