Generic Name and Formulations:
Ertapenem (as sodium) 1g; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; or for IM inj after reconstitution; sodium content 6mEq/g.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for INVANZ:
Susceptible moderate to severe infections including complicated intraabdominal, complicated skin and skin structure, community-acquired pneumonia, complicated UTIs, acute pelvic infections. Prevention of surgical site infection following elective colorectal surgery in adults.
Adults and Children:
Do not mix or co-infuse with other meds or diluents containing dextrose. Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes for up to 14 days; or, give by IM inj for up to 7 days (for IM: see note). <3months: not recommended. 3months–12yrs: 15mg/kg twice daily (max 1g/day). ≥13yrs: 1g once daily; renal dysfunction (CrCl ≤30mL/min): 500mg once daily (give supplemental 150mg after session if dosed within 6 hours of hemodialysis). Intraabdominal: treat 5–14 days. Skin and skin structure: treat 7–14 days. Pneumonia, UTIs: treat 10–14 days (may switch to oral antibiotic after 3 days). Pelvic: treat 3–10 days. Adult prophylaxis in colorectal surgery: 1g single IV dose given 1 hour prior to surgical incision.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy. IM administration in patients with known hypersensitivity to amide-type local anesthetics.
CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, seizure history). Renal dysfunction. Avoid extravasation. Monitor renal, hepatic, and hematopoetic function in prolonged use. Avoid blood vessel if administering by IM. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended. Antagonizes valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; consider other antibacterials.
Diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), nausea, vomiting, inj site reactions (thrombophlebitis/phlebitis), headache, CNS effects (dizziness, altered mental state, rarely: seizures), edema, dyspnea, fever.
For IM use, reconstitute with lidocaine 1% only; see full labeling.
- 1g vials (Qty:10)
- appx. price $846.00
- Paleo Diet: Should It Stay in the Stone Age?
- Risks and Recommendations: The Use of NSAIDs in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease
- Neurological Complications Caused by "Skinny Jeans"
- What's the Secret to Longevity? Lessons from "Blue Zones" Worldwide
- Peanut Allergy Drug Designated Breakthrough Therapy
- Withdrawn, Unapproved Drugs Detected in Weight Loss Pills
- A Cancer Drug Derived From an Avocado
- Diazepam Sold Online May Actually Be Antipsychotic, FDA Warns
- FDA to Review New Xeljanz Formulation for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Volanesorsen Designated Orphan Drug Status for Familial Chylomicronemia Syndrome