Generic Name and Formulations:
Alvimopan 12mg; hard-gelatin caps.
Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ENTEREG:
To accelerate the time to upper and lower gastrointestinal recovery following surgeries that include partial bowel resection surgery with primary anastomosis.
Give 12mg 30mins to 5hrs before surgery, then 12mg twice daily starting on 1st post-op day until hospital discharge for up to 7 days; max 15 doses.
Opioid antagonist (peripheral).
Opioid use, at therapeutic doses, for >7 consecutive days prior.
For short-term hospital use only. Potential risk of MI with long-term use. Severe hepatic impairment, ESRD, complete GI obstruction, pancreatic or gastric anastomosis: not recommended. Mild-to-severe renal impairment or mild-to-moderate hepatic impairment: monitor closely; discontinue if adverse reactions occur. Recent (within week prior to surgery) use of >3 doses of opioids; monitor for GI events. Japanese patients (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Available only to hospitals that enroll in Entereg Access Support and Education Program (EASE). For more information, and to enroll, call (877) 282-4786.
- Over 50 FDA-Approved Meds Could Treat Ebola Infection
- Pharmacy Employees Arrested, Charged in Meningitis Outbreak
- How Effective Are Neuraminidase Inhibitors in Containing Flu?
- Ondansetron, Tramadol Drug Interaction Identified
- Pain Management in Patients with IBD: Individualizing Treatment Approaches