Generic Name and Formulations:
Alprostadil (in alfadex inclusion complex) 10mcg, 20mcg, 40mcg; per cartridge; pwd for intracavernous inj after reconstitution.
Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EDEX:
Inject over 5–10 seconds into the lateral aspect of the proximal third of the penis, avoid visible veins; rotate injection side and site. Determine optimum dose in office. If no response occurs, may give next higher dose in 1 hour. If partial response occurs, must wait 24 hours before next higher dose. Vasculogenic, psychogenic, or mixed etiology: initially 2.5mcg. If partial response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. If no response to initial dose, may give 2nd dose of 7.5mcg and then may increase by increments of 5–10mcg until desired response achieved. Neurogenic etiology: initially 1.25mcg. May give 2nd dose of 2.5mcg, and 3rd dose of 5mcg, and then may increase by increments of 5mcg until desired response achieved. Max: 40mcg and 3 self-injections per week; allow at least 24 hours between doses. Reduce dose if erection lasts over 1 hour.
Not recommended; see Contraindications.
Predisposition to priapism. Anatomical penile deformation. Penile implants. Patients for whom sexual activity is inadvisable or contraindicated. Women. Children. Newborns.
Treat priapism immediately. Reevaluate every 3 months. Discontinue if penile fibrosis occurs. Renal dysfunction.
Concomitant vasoactive agents: not recommended. Caution with heparin.
Penile pain, priapism, injection site reactions, penile angulation or fibrosis, hypertension, headache, dizziness, upper respiratory infections, increased risk of blood-borne diseases, others.
2-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1
6-cartridge pack (w. 1 inj device & supplies)—1
- 2 cartridges of 20mcg packages (Qty:1)
- appx. price $140.00
- Recall of Two IV Antibiotics Announced
- Peanut Allergy Patch Shows Promise in Latest Study
- Five Things ID Experts Want You to Know Before You Prescribe an Antibiotic
- What's Changed in Immunization Recommendations From CDC Advisory Committee
- IUD Approval Gives Women New Long-Acting Birth Control Option
- Limit Daily Use of Headphones, Warns WHO
- Sleep Deprivation Could Derail Healthy Eating Habits
- Not Enough COPD Patients Receiving Maintenance Tx, Research Suggests
- Harvoni for HCV Genotype 4, HIV Co-Infection Assessed in New Research
- Combo Therapy for HCV, HIV Co-Infection: New Data on Sustained Virologic Response