Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline monohydrate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets:
Tetracycline-susceptible infections including respiratory, genitourinary, rickettsial, trachoma. Postexposure prophylaxis and treatment of anthrax.
Usual dose: 200mg on first day (give as 100mg every 12hrs or 50mg every 6hrs) followed by maintenance dose of 100mg/day (may be given as a single dose or as 50mg every 12hrs). Management of severe infections (including chronic UTI): 100mg every 12hrs. Uncomplicated gonoccal infections (except anorectal infections in men): 100mg twice daily for 7 days or 300mg stat followed in one hour by a second 300mg dose. Acute epididymo-orchitis caused by N. gonorrhoeae, C. trachomatis: 100mg twice daily for at least 10 days. Primary and secondary syphilis: 300mg in divided doses for at least 10 days. Uncomplicated urethral, endocervical, or rectal infection caused by C. trachomatis, nongonococcal urethritis caused by C. trachomatis and U. urealyticum: 100mg twice daily for at least 7 days. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): 100mg twice daily for 60 days.
<8yrs: not recommended. >8yrs: ≤100lbs: 2mg/lb divided into two doses on the first day, followed by 1mg/lb as a single daily dose or divided into two doses, on subsequent days. Severe infections: up to 2mg/lb may be used. >100lbs: use adult dose. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): ≤100lbs: 1mg/lb twice daily for 60 days. >100lbs: use adult dose.
Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Avoid excessive sunlight or UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium reduce absorption. Avoid concomitant penicillin, methoxyflurane. Carbamazepine, phenytoin, barbiturates may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. May decrease effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, esophageal irritation/ulceration (drink fluids liberally with dose), rash, increased BUN, hypersensitivity reactions, blood dyscrasias; pseudomembranous colitis.
Tabs 50mg—100; 100mg—50, 250
- Recall of Two IV Antibiotics Announced
- Five Things ID Experts Want You to Know Before You Prescribe an Antibiotic
- Peanut Allergy Patch Shows Promise in Latest Study
- What's Changed in Immunization Recommendations From CDC Advisory Committee
- IUD Approval Gives Women New Long-Acting Birth Control Option
- Limit Daily Use of Headphones, Warns WHO
- Sleep Deprivation Could Derail Healthy Eating Habits
- Not Enough COPD Patients Receiving Maintenance Tx, Research Suggests
- Harvoni for HCV Genotype 4, HIV Co-Infection Assessed in New Research
- Combo Therapy for HCV, HIV Co-Infection: New Data on Sustained Virologic Response