Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.1mg, ethinyl estradiol 20mcg (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for AVIANE:
Adult Dose for AVIANE:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Children's Dose for AVIANE:
Progestin + estrogen.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebral vascular or coronary artery disease. Breast or other estrogen-dependent neoplasms. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Smokers over 35yrs of age: not recommended. Uncontrolled hypertension. Hypertriglyceridemia. Discontinue if jaundice, visual disturbances, migraine or other severe headaches occur. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see literature). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
- Can Wearables for Babies Help Prevent SIDS?
- Most Excessive Drinkers Don't Meet Alcohol Dependence Criteria
- Carcinogen from Hookah Smoke Harmful, Even in Secondhand Exposure
- Refined vs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Is One Better for Cardiovascular Health?
- Digoxin and Incident A-Fib: New Results on Mortality, Hospitalization Risk